Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Fall Break and Chicken

For fall break this year I decided to visit my sister at her school in Indiana rather than go home like I normally would during fall break. I hadn't seen her since the last weekend in August so it was nice to be able to spend some time with her. Unfortunately things didn't go quite according to plan but we still managed to have fun.

Friday after classes I left around 1:00 and drove the two hours to get to her school. After I got there we hung out and talked for awhile before deciding to get something to eat. Now let me explain something here, my sister's school is unlike ONU in many ways. For one thing, they have a giant student center with three different options for food plus a coffee shop. Well, one of the food options was a place that had Chick-fil-a. Now I like Chick-fil-a so I was like, that sounds good, let's do that. I got a chicken sandwich, waffle fries and a lemonade. Seems pretty normal right? Well, I'm eating and I'm starting to feel a little weird but that was the first food I'd eaten all day as I was busy earlier in the day so I figured it was just my body adjusting to actually having food as that is pretty normal for me. My sister and I went back to her room and continued to talk and as we did I felt steadily worse. I got chills, my stomach felt like it was doing somersaults, and I was so tired I could barely stay awake. Finally around 8:30-9:00 I told my sister that I thought I just needed to sleep and so I laid down. Well, I tried to lay down but that made it worse so I propped myself up on some pillows. After a half hour or so I thought I was feeling better so I said something to my sister who was reading on the other side of the room. She came over and was talking to me and then I realized that I was most definitely not better and ended up emptying the contents of my stomach into the bucket that my sister had wisely placed next to me. Needless to say, my chicken sandwich did not like me and I have the best sister in the world for helping to take care of me.

After that fiasco I felt much better and was able to almost drift to sleep before one of the girls that my sister shares a bathroom with decided to go into the bathroom and watch stupid Facebook videos, loudly, for a half an hour from 10:30-11 at night. I could clearly hear the videos. She then proceeded to take a half hour shower from 11-11:30 and listen to music. I don't know what you all think but in my opinion that is unacceptable and just plain rude. My sister said she didn't mind and not to worry about it but I had half a mind to go bang on the bathroom door and give her a piece of my mind. I guess that's the overprotective big sister in me.

The next day I felt better but still didn't have much of an appetite so around noon my sister and I went to IHop and I managed to get some food down. Then we went and got my sister a library card at the local library as she is binge reading books right now and needs access to more. I couldn't be prouder of the amount of books she's been able to read while still getting school work done. I couldn't do it. After that we just relaxed in her room for the rest of the day.

Sunday my parents decided to come visit since I wasn't coming home. They drove up and brought me some things that I needed from home as well as some things for my sister. It was nice getting to see my whole family after not having seen them for over a month. We went to get dinner at Applebee's then my sister took us to this gorgeous park near her school. It had gardens, ponds and bridges and there was even a wedding being set up. We chatted with my parents for awhile before they left. A little later my sister and I got coffee and strolled around her campus so she could show me some of her favorite spots. Monday morning we went to chapel then I packed up and came back to ONU so that I could get some things done before classes on Wednesday.

I definitely needed fall break this year. Not only because it was a break from classes but also because I got to see my family and I still have some time to work on homework and other things I need to get done. The chicken incident was unfortunate but thankfully it only lasted a few hours and then I was fine.

1 comment:

  1. Rachel,

    Im glad to hear you are feeling better. it seems that fall break came at the right time this year. Im glad that you were able to be around your family when you were sick!

    ReplyDelete